We’ve heard people refer to strawberries and whipped cream piled on a slice of angel food cake as strawberry shortcake. It’s not. Shortcake is more like a sweet biscuit. Smooth whipped cream and succulent strawberries against the crispness of shortcake is the perfect spring dessert. The secret ingredient in this shortcake is ground almonds. Not only do they add a delightful flavor but the richness of nuts.
1 cup coarsely ground almonds
1/2 cup coarsely ground oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup cold butter
1 large egg
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
sliced bananas and strawberries
sweetened whipped cream
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
1. To make the ground nuts, use your blender chopping them until they are the consistency of coarse meal. Do the same with the rolled oats. Measure both after grinding. Set aside.
2. Mix the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a medium bowl. Add the ground nuts and oats. Using a pastry knife, cut the cold butter into the mixture until it is of the consistency of kernels.
3. In another bowl, mix the egg and milk together. Stir in the sugar and extract.
4. Combine the liquid mixture with the flour mixture.
5. Sprinkle a little flour on the counter and pat the dough out until it is 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into desired shapes with a cutter or a knife. Place them on an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 16 minutes or until the edges just barely start to brown.
6. To serve, top with sliced fruit and whipped cream.
This recipe yields about ten 3-inch shortcakes.